Make no mistake, Mayor Grebien's cash cameras aren't about safety! This is about a cash grab by Mayor Donald Grebien.
* Petition below *
As a father, a concerned resident, and a Mayoral Candidate, I take safety very seriously and the current mayor should, too. However, our mayor, recently known for his handshake and look the other way style of leadership is looking to make the residents of Pawtucket pay for some expensive and reckless handshake agreements with extremely wealthy private interests!
* Swedish Company announces expected $3.5 Million from Pawtucket camera program over next 5 years in note to shareholders.
* Taxpayers, not PawSox, paid for McCoy police details in 2018 on a Handshake
The motivation for Pawtucket's traffic camera system is driven purely by money in an alarming disregard for the economic impact on our small businesses and residents that are already overtaxed and burdened by a mismanaged city. Grabbing money from Pawtucket residents under the guise of public safety and giving it to a Swedish investor group and other political cronies is WRONG and will damage our Pawtucket economy severely.
Below are some facts:
- City is required to pay Sensys Gatso (a Swedish company) $2,500 per speed camera per month
- City is required to pay Sensys Gatso (a Swedish company) $1,800 per red light camera per month
- City is required to pay Sensys Gatso (a Swedish company) $7.30 for each speed violation that's issued whether the violation is paid or not
- City is required to pay Sensys Gatso USA (a Swedish company) $15.40 for each $95 red light violation that's issued whether the violation is paid or not
- If violations are not paid Sensys Gatso (a Swedish company) will be allowed to collect fees for the collection effort
- If a violator hasn’t paid within 60 days, Sensys Gatso USA (a Swedish company) will charge an 18 percent fee for collection efforts. If the fee hasn’t been paid in 120 days, Sensys Gatso (a Swedish company) will send one or more additional notices, then prepare a filing with the Department of Motor Vehicles in Rhode Island and elsewhere required for non-renewal on driving privileges. The collection fee for that additional activity will be 25 percent.
- The contract is a FIVE-year deal, with a five-year extension option
- Someone paying a ticket online via credit card is charged a $3.50 convenience fee.